The future has arrived, and it’s smart! National Smart Home Day, celebrated annually on November 3rd, is a day dedicated to exploring the incredible potential of smart technology in our homes. Our homes are more than just four walls; they are our sanctuaries, the backdrop to our lives. Now, they’re becoming smarter and more efficient than ever before.
What Makes a Smart Home "smart"?
Smart homes are equipped with interconnected devices that can communicate and be controlled remotely. These devices provide homeowners with enhanced security, energy efficiency, and convenience. They include:
- Smart Security: Smart cameras, doorbells, and locks provide peace of mind, allowing homeowners to monitor and secure their property from anywhere.
- Voice Assistants: Voice-controlled devices like Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant are the heart of many smart homes, allowing homeowners to control various systems with their voice.
- Energy Efficiency: Smart thermostats, lighting, and appliances help reduce energy consumption and save on utility bills.
- Entertainment: Enjoy an immersive entertainment experience with smart TVs, speakers, and streaming devices.
- Health and Wellness: Smart devices can monitor air quality, detect leaks, and even remind you to stay active. Having a smart smoke and carbon monoxide detector can give you an alert right to your phone so you can monitor the safety of your home from anywhere.
Why make your home a smart home?
Smart homes are not just a trend; they’re shaping the future of real estate. Here’s why:
- Increased Home Value: Homes equipped with smart technology often have higher resale values. Buyers are willing to pay a premium for homes with smart features.
- Market Competitiveness: In a competitive real estate market, listings that feature smart home technology can stand out, attracting tech-savvy buyers. Glover Agency can help you figure out what upgrades your home may need to bring up its value, contact us today to learn more.
- Energy Efficiency: Smart homes are more energy-efficient, which can be a major selling point in an environmentally conscious world.
Here are four steps to turn your home into a Smart Home
How to make your home a smart home:
Follow these four simple steps and your home will run more smoothly (whether you’re there or not) and be more cost-effective.
1. Invest in a voice-controlled device When you install a voice-controlled device such as Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant, it becomes the hub of your home. It’s a hands-free way to control your home simply by saying “Alexa, turn on the living room lights.”
2. Install a system of connected security devices– Video doorbells stand as your initial shield against property theft, home invasion, and porch pirates. They not only offer you the ability to visually and audibly communicate with those at your doorstep but also capture video evidence of any visitors approaching your home when you’re not present or available to respond. The great thing is that many brands also create video cameras you can place around your house that will work with your video doorbell. Trusted brands that are known for keeping homes safe are Ring and SimpliSafe.
3. Install a connected thermostat – This is an easy way to create an energy-efficient home. The thermostat adjusts to your schedule and uses less energy when you’re not home. Michiganders can receive a rebate for installing a smart thermostat in their homes.
4. Install smart light bulbs– Smart light bulbs like Phillips, can save you money on your utility bill and you can control your lights from your smartphone device. Even if you don’t use a smart bulb, replacing light with LED Light bulbs can save you money and energy.
Are smart devices worth it?
Smart technology isn’t just about gadgets; it’s about creating homes that are safer, more efficient, and more enjoyable. Whether you’re looking to enhance your current home or considering your next move, this exciting future is one to look forward to. Let’s remember that smart homes are all about making your life better. They are homes that adapt to your needs, provide peace of mind, and ensure you live more comfortably. If you need advice or more tips about how to turn your home smart, contact us here.